Monday, March 21, 2011

Guest Post at Literary Magpie: On Sound & Vision

Check out a post I contributed to my friend, poet Jory M. Mickelson's blog, Literary Magpie.
On Sound & Vision
Closing their 2003 offering, One Bedroom, post-rock quartet the Sea and Cake covers one of few singles from the first of David Bowie’s Berlin trilogy albums, Low. All things considered, their version of “Sound & Vision” remains fairly true to the original. Such unabashed homage, I don’t often gravitate toward in a cover. If I wanted something so straightforward, I’d listen to the original. However, it is plain to see that the Sea and Cake is much indebted to Bowie and his Berlin collaborator, Brian Eno; half of the band’s sound is comprised of synthesizers and uncommon percussion. At the time of Low’s production, grounding an entire rock project in synthesizers was certainly not taken seriously, if not altogether unheard of. The sonic experimentation that resulted in not only the (eventually) critically acclaimed Low, but “Heroes” and Lodger as well, was a revolutionary move for any musician, particularly one so iconic.

I must have I surprised a friend after reading a poem called “Sound & Vision,” as unabashed homage as the final track on One Bedroom.
[Read the rest.]

No comments: